The Ringside View

My attempts at writing have always been stacked up in old diaries and scraps of yellowing paper.Time,neglect and phylum insecta however, always ensured that the gibberish i scrawled, never would see the prying gaze of an alien eye.Years later, i still scribble once in a while - this time in word documents stored in some obscure folder somewhere in the innards of my C drive.I am unearthing some of them and opening them up for the interested.To get what i call - The Ringside view.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Donut factory.

4 donuts for one pound twenty proclaimed the board. I stopped in my stride and worked out the logistics. Breakfast had more or less become a non entity and it was far too early for lunch. The artist had done a fair job in luring the waiting to be tempted and I decided it was very well worth a go. I walked up to the counter and mumbled – ‘Hi there, 4 donuts please’. The lady at the counter did a mere nod and walked up to what seemed like a pretty complicated apparatus stretching half the length of the counter. (Reminded me of physics apparatus back at school where my values always indicated that the refractive index of glass was the same as that of water)

I looked around to see if the actual donuts rose up to the image created by the part timer who had painted, what to the starved and hungry was nothing short of a Michelangelo. But they were nowhere in sight, and the lady still seemed obsessed with this weird looking apparatus of hers. Whatever happened to customer value, I wondered, as she turned on a switch and shuffled with a piston.

Below, this piston was a large cylindrical drum which extended into a long tubular waterway with lanes resembling a swimming pool. And the entire stretch was submerged in what seemed and looked like oil. At the far end of the tubular pathway rose a ramp at a 45 degree incline. The apparatus stopped there like in the middle of nowhere with a mound of icing sugar below.

I was by now figuring out what was happening before me. And as though to confirm my nascent ideas, a circular blob of dough fell into the black calm of the oil. There was a simmer and a few moments later a puffing of the dough. I could now very well see the circle expanding with that all too familiar orifice in the middle. A second blob soon fell and then two more. I gaped like a kid at the circus as the first donut (now they deserved to be called that) swam the great channel of oil towards its climax at the head of the ramp. The others followed suit like in a boat race, the only difference being the ones behind showed no signs of overtaking the leaders. A few moments later, they were climbing the hill like in a procession, waiting to fall into that mound of sugar below.

I waited with bated breath for the donuts to consummate their journey but it was not to be. The vamp got to them before they dived to their sugary end by picking them off the ramp and smearing them with the sugar. It somehow was not that classic end that I envisioned but before i could even reflect, I was thrust the four donuts in a bag and mumbled a quick ‘Thank you’. It was just another day in the donut factory.

3 Comments:

Blogger Blahberrer said...

So much so, I tried to install one for personal use....

October 14, 2006 2:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mate, where is this donut factory ?Is it the shop near the Anglia Square ?

January 02, 2007 6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of all ur blogs...i loved the Donut factory the most.... jeez...now i need to go n find a donut shop! :D
M

June 16, 2007 11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home